Licenses & Inspections FAQ’s

► When do I need a building or zoning permit?

Building and zoning permits are the primary tools utilized by the Township to insure orderly construction and development. Building and zoning permits must be secured prior to the start of any construction.

Review of the plot plan for the zoning permit is required to be approved before progression is made to the building permit approval of the construction plan. Rules regarding size, location, and use within the boundaries of the parcel are generally covered by the Zoning Code.

Building permits are needed to assure the minimum requirements of the present building codes are met. Inspections are made during construction to assure the construction is done properly. The applicant is wholly responsible to see that the Building Code Official of Warminster Township is notified to schedule required inspections at each stage of construction. Inspections must be done before proceeding to the next phase of construction. Twenty-four (24) hour notice is required to schedule an inspection.

► What projects do you need a building permit for?

  • Building permit with plot plan (including construction drawings or manufacturer's specifications with application)
  • Additions
  • Decks
  • Sunrooms, patios or other enclosures
  • Concrete pad or slab
  • Generator
Building miscellaneous permit application

  • Alteration within the structure such as removing, altering or adding walls or rooms. Include other miscellaneous application where applicable such as HVAC, plumbing, and electrical permit, hot water heater
  • Replacement of reroof with sheathing
  • Shed 144 square feet or less (zoning permit)
  • Shed over 144 square feet (building permit)
  • Demolition of structures or pool

► What is the Uniform Construction Code (UCC)?

Warminster has "opted-in" to enforce the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (UCC). The adoption of this code incorporated the following codes: International Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Residential, Fuel Gas, Fire, Energy Conservation, Electrical, and Existing Building. These codes and laws should be referred to for detailed information. Please note, specific questions should be directed to the Department of Licenses & Inspections.

Under UCC enforcement the Township allowed to review and approve a permit under the following timeline. Please note that if there is a requirement of the Township for more revised plans, the timeline is stopped and will begin again upon receipt of new or revised plans. Notification will be sent to the applicant of items needed for complete permit approval.

Residential: 15 business days (3 weeks) for plan approval
Non- Residential: 30 business days (6 weeks) for plan approval

► Does my contractor need to be registered with the Township?

Before you hire a contractor to do work on your property, be sure to check with the Bureau of Consumer Protection in the Office of the Pennsylvania Attorney General to assure that the contractor you have would like to use is registered with them. Also, be sure you ask and receive a copy of the contractor's up-t-date certification of insurance. Unless the contractor is exempt under the law, workers' compensation insurance is required by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Be sure you verify this with your contractor.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has adopted the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act 132 enforced by the Bureau of Consumer Protection in the Office of the Attorney General. It is now required that all contractors who enter into a contract with a homeowner for work more than $500.00 shall be required to register with the Commonwealth. The contractor is also required to meet all requirements of the Act. Be sure the contractor you use meets the following requirements when entering into a contract for work on your property. We encourage the homeowner to empower themselves with the information they need when entering into a contract with a contractor. Contact the Pennsylvania Office of the Attorney Generals public access number at 717-772-2425 to obtain information as to whether a contractor is registered. Information may also be obtained on their website:

Contractors who perform residential permit work will be required to have an up-to-date contractor registered with Pennsylvania.  Proof of the PA registration and certificate of insurance must be submitted before a permit will be issued or work may begin.

► Do I need to fill out a workers’ compensation form?

The Township requires that with each and every permit submitted for residential and non-residential work, a workers' compensation form be completed by the contractor stating the situation that applies to them. Forms do not have to be notarized if the contractor has workers' compensation insurance. However, form must be fully completed and signed. See permit list.

► Do I need to fill out an Agent’s Affidavit Form?

The Township requires that an agent's affidavit form be completed by the property owner and the contractor for all residential and non-residential permit applications so that it is on record that the property owner is aware of the duly authorized agent or contractor is permitted to submit the required documents for the building permit. See permit list.

► What is required to sell or rent property in Warminster Township?

Residential: An Occupancy Certificate is required to be acquired from Warminster Township whenever a property is sold or rented. The inspection process is the same in either case. However, an annual housing license is required for all rental properties in the Township.

Download the "Occupancy Certificate Inspection- Sale or Rental of House" form. This packet explains the requirements for the occupancy inspection. To begin the process, complete the application and submit the correct fee to the Department of Licenses & Inspections. An inspection of the property will be scheduled. If any corrections are noted to be done, a notice will be issued listing the items to be submitted or corrected. When the noted items are completed, a re-inspection will be scheduled. Contact the department to schedule the inspection. When all compliance has been met, a clear Occupancy Certificate will be issued. Provisions are set for properties being sold in an "as is" condition or agreements being made to pass along certain items from the seller to the buyer. The packet explains the requirements; however, please contact the Department of Licenses & Inspections with any questions or concerns.

Non-residential: Download the "Use & Occupancy Application- Sale or Rental of Commercial" form. This packet includes the Use & Occupancy application and requirements. Also, download the "Heater Certification and Electrical Inspection Agencies- Courtesy form.

► What kind of concrete permit do I need?

Concrete replaced in the Township right-of-way requires that a permit be obtained from the Department of Licenses & Inspections. After the application is approved and a permit issued, an inspection must be scheduled with the concrete inspector before the concrete is poured and finished, including the grading of the grass area around the replacement. Use the "Concrete Replacement Row" application.

When a concrete slab or pad is installed around the house, a building and zoning permit must be obtained. A plot plan and construction drawing must be reviewed and approved by the Zoning Officer and the Building Code Official. Inspections will be completed according to building code requirements. Use the "Building permit with plot plan" application.