Permits & Forms


Licenses & Inspections FAQ’s

► When do I need a building or zoning permit?

Building and zoning permits are the primary tools utilized by the Township to insure orderly construction and development. Building and zoning permits must be secured prior to the start of any construction.

Review of the plot plan for the zoning permit is required to be approved before progression is made to the building permit approval of the construction plan. Rules regarding size, location, and use within the boundaries of the parcel are generally covered by the Zoning Code.

Building permits are needed to assure the minimum requirements of the present building codes are met. Inspections are made during construction to assure the construction is done properly. The applicant is wholly responsible to see that the Building Code Official of Warminster Township is notified to schedule required inspections at each stage of construction. Inspections must be done before proceeding to the next phase of construction. Twenty-four (24) hour notice is required to schedule an inspection.

► What projects do you need a building permit for?

  • Building permit with plot plan (including construction drawings or manufacturer's specifications with application)
  • Additions
  • Decks
  • Sunrooms, patios or other enclosures
  • Concrete pad or slab
  • Generator
Building miscellaneous permit application

  • Alteration within the structure such as removing, altering or adding walls or rooms. Include other miscellaneous application where applicable such as HVAC, plumbing, and electrical permit, hot water heater
  • Replacement of reroof with sheathing
  • Shed 144 square feet or less (zoning permit)
  • Shed over 144 square feet (building permit)
  • Demolition of structures or pool

► What is the Uniform Construction Code (UCC)?

Warminster has "opted-in" to enforce the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (UCC). The adoption of this code incorporated the following codes: International Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Residential, Fuel Gas, Fire, Energy Conservation, Electrical, and Existing Building. These codes and laws should be referred to for detailed information. Please note, specific questions should be directed to the Department of Licenses & Inspections.

Under UCC enforcement the Township allowed to review and approve a permit under the following timeline. Please note that if there is a requirement of the Township for more revised plans, the timeline is stopped and will begin again upon receipt of new or revised plans. Notification will be sent to the applicant of items needed for complete permit approval.

Residential: 15 business days (3 weeks) for plan approval
Non- Residential: 30 business days (6 weeks) for plan approval

► Does my contractor need to be registered with the Township?

Before you hire a contractor to do work on your property, be sure to check with the Bureau of Consumer Protection in the Office of the Pennsylvania Attorney General to assure that the contractor you have would like to use is registered with them. Also, be sure you ask and receive a copy of the contractor's up-t-date certification of insurance. Unless the contractor is exempt under the law, workers' compensation insurance is required by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Be sure you verify this with your contractor.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has adopted the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act 132 enforced by the Bureau of Consumer Protection in the Office of the Attorney General. It is now required that all contractors who enter into a contract with a homeowner for work more than $500.00 shall be required to register with the Commonwealth. The contractor is also required to meet all requirements of the Act. Be sure the contractor you use meets the following requirements when entering into a contract for work on your property. We encourage the homeowner to empower themselves with the information they need when entering into a contract with a contractor. Contact the Pennsylvania Office of the Attorney Generals public access number at 717-772-2425 to obtain information as to whether a contractor is registered. Information may also be obtained on their website:

Contractors who perform residential permit work will be required to have an up-to-date contractor registered with Pennsylvania.  Proof of the PA registration and certificate of insurance must be submitted before a permit will be issued or work may begin.

► Do I need to fill out a workers’ compensation form?

The Township requires that with each and every permit submitted for residential and non-residential work, a workers' compensation form be completed by the contractor stating the situation that applies to them. Forms do not have to be notarized if the contractor has workers' compensation insurance. However, form must be fully completed and signed. See permit list.

► Do I need to fill out an Agent’s Affidavit Form?

The Township requires that an agent's affidavit form be completed by the property owner and the contractor for all residential and non-residential permit applications so that it is on record that the property owner is aware of the duly authorized agent or contractor is permitted to submit the required documents for the building permit. See permit list.

► What is required to sell or rent property in Warminster Township?

Residential: An Occupancy Certificate is required to be acquired from Warminster Township whenever a property is sold or rented. The inspection process is the same in either case. However, an annual housing license is required for all rental properties in the Township.

Download the "Occupancy Certificate Inspection- Sale or Rental of House" form. This packet explains the requirements for the occupancy inspection. To begin the process, complete the application and submit the correct fee to the Department of Licenses & Inspections. An inspection of the property will be scheduled. If any corrections are noted to be done, a notice will be issued listing the items to be submitted or corrected. When the noted items are completed, a re-inspection will be scheduled. Contact the department to schedule the inspection. When all compliance has been met, a clear Occupancy Certificate will be issued. Provisions are set for properties being sold in an "as is" condition or agreements being made to pass along certain items from the seller to the buyer. The packet explains the requirements; however, please contact the Department of Licenses & Inspections with any questions or concerns.

Non-residential: Download the "Use & Occupancy Application- Sale or Rental of Commercial" form. This packet includes the Use & Occupancy application and requirements. Also, download the "Heater Certification and Electrical Inspection Agencies- Courtesy form.

► What kind of concrete permit do I need?

Concrete replaced in the Township right-of-way requires that a permit be obtained from the Department of Licenses & Inspections. After the application is approved and a permit issued, an inspection must be scheduled with the concrete inspector before the concrete is poured and finished, including the grading of the grass area around the replacement. Use the "Concrete Replacement Row" application.

When a concrete slab or pad is installed around the house, a building and zoning permit must be obtained. A plot plan and construction drawing must be reviewed and approved by the Zoning Officer and the Building Code Official. Inspections will be completed according to building code requirements. Use the "Building permit with plot plan" application.

About Us

The Department of Licenses and Inspections is responsible for the issuance of all licenses, coordination of inspections, enforcement of all codes including building, zoning, use & occupancy, and various other permits. All inspections performed are to insure that buildings and properties throughout the Township are in compliance with the codes and ordinances adopted by the Township Board of Supervisors.


  • Permits are required for home improvements that involve wall removal or installation, in-law dwelling, no-impact home-based business, above ground pool (deeper than 24-inches), in-ground pool, earth disturbance (greater than 1,000 SF), HVAC, electrical or plumbing work, decks, patios, sheds or fencing.
  • A Use & Occupancy permit is required when a property is being sold.
  • A zoning permit is required for as shed of 144 SF or less. A building permit is required for a shed greater than 144 SF and footers will be required.
  • Permits are required for Commercial improvements that involve a fit out, changes to the existing layout and signage. A Use & Occupancy permit is required when a property is sold or there is a change in tenant.
  • Temporary permits are required for transient Uses, tents (greater than 10 FT x 10 FT), fencing, signage and trailers. Permit application forms and fees are available on the Township web site ( or at the License & Inspection Office located at 910 W Bristol Road.
  • Complete permit applications should be hand delivered or mailed to the Licenses & Inspection Office. There is a night drop box, prior to the gate, adjacent to the US Postal Mail box. The Township only accepts check or money orders. Code requirements are available through Code 360 at If you have a question as to whether a permit is required, please call the License & Inspection Office (215-443-5423).
  • Any property located in the Little Neshaminy Creek watershed that is proposing to increase the impervious coverage, will be required to install landscaping and provided a Stormwater Planting Agreement.


Zoning Application (fences, permanent signs, and accessory structures)

UCC Application (building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and fire suppression)

The Township does not accept online permit applications for concrete work.  If one is submitted online it will not be reviewed.

The documents listed below are required for physical and online permit submissions.

  • Completed and signed permit application
  • 2 copies of the plot plan (for a sign it must show sign location and setbacks)
  • 2 copies of the construction plans (for a sign permit)
  • Homeowner’s Association Approval Letter (If Applicable)
  • Copy of PA Contractor Registration Certificate
  • Copy of Contractor’s Liability Insurance (must list Warminster Township as additional insured)
  • Copy of Contractor’s Workers’ Compensation Insurance (must list Warminster Township as additional insured) or complete the Workers’ Exemption form
  • Agents Affidavit

Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.

For all inspection scheduling (except where noted below for electrical inspections) 

Contact Information: Department of Licenses & Inspections
910 West Bristol Road
Warminster, PA 18974
Phone: 215-443-5423 | Fax: 215-443-7911

Hours: Monday-Friday: 8:00 AM-4:00 PM

Questions for zoning ordinance
Zoning Officer
Phone: 267-317-1377

Residential & Commercial Building Plan Reviews and Inspections
The following inspectors are responsible for the plan reviews and inspections of Warminster Township.
To schedule BUILDING inspections as noted on the inspection sheet included with permit:  215-443-5423
Download permit forms from this website to begin the process for submittal

Building Code Official
Jimmy Valentin, Building Inspector
Phone: 215-443-5423

ELECTRICAL PERMITS:  Applications for permits are submitted directly to the Department of Licenses & Inspections.  The following Third Party Electrical Inspection Agency will schedule and perform the inspections after the permit is approved and issued.  Download permit forms from this website.

United Inspection Agency
Contact: 215-542-9977


Resale Housing Occupancy Certificate
Phone: 215-443-5423

Warminster Municipal Authority
Sale or Transfer of a Property Procedure (separate from Township requirements)
Phone: 215-675-3301

Rental License for RESIDENTIAL properties
Phone: 215-443-5423

Property Maintenance – Service Request
Phone: 215-443-5423

Fire Inspections:  Emergency Management & Services
Phone: 215-443-5414


The PA Home Improvement Act 132 that becomes effective 7/1/09 requires that all contractors who enter into a contract with a homeowner for work more than $500.00 shall be required to register with the Commonwealth.  Contact: for details.

Contact the Department of Licenses & Inspections at 215-443-5423 to check that the contractor you decide to use is also registered with Warminster Township.

2015 Construction Codes

Beginning on March 21, 2019 the 2015 Edition of the International Code Series will be the code requirements for all construction taking place within Warminster Township as required by the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code. Please note the Accessibility Code will remain the ICC A117.1 2015 Edition. Any work that has a valid permit, construction plans under review, or an executed contract for design prior to March 21, 2019 may follow the 2009 Editions. Copies of the 2015 Editions are available for review at the Licenses and Inspections Office at 910 W. Bristol Road, Warminster PA 18974. The code books may also be purchased at 2015 ICC Store. Should you have any questions please contact the Building Code Official at (215) 443-5423.